Are you considering braces to achieve a perfect smile but feeling hesitant about the idea of visible metal brackets and wires? Lingual braces may be just the solution. These innovative orthodontic appliances are an exceptional alternative for patients who want to straighten their teeth discreetly. Unlike traditional braces that are placed on the front surface of the teeth, lingual braces are attached to the back, making them virtually invisible when you smile. This unique placement allows them to stay out of sight while also working effectively to correct misalignment issues and help you achieve a beautiful smile.
How Do Lingual Braces Work?
The process of getting lingual braces involves several steps. First, the dentist will take impressions and measurements of your teeth to create customized brackets and wires specifically for your mouth. These brackets are then bonded to the back surface of each tooth using a dental adhesive. Once the lingual braces are in place, they start exerting gentle pressure on your teeth, gradually moving them into the desired position over time. Our dentist will adjust the wires periodically to ensure that the treatment is progressing as planned.
Lingual braces are an excellent alternative for patients who want a less noticeable orthodontic treatment option that still provides great results!
Advantages of Lingual Braces
- One major advantage of lingual braces is that they are virtually invisible. Unlike traditional braces that are attached to the front of your teeth, lingual braces are placed on the back side of the teeth. This means no one will even know you're wearing them unless you tell them!
- Another advantage is that lingual braces can effectively treat a wide range of orthodontic issues. Whether you have crowding, spacing, or misalignment, these discreet brackets and wires will work tirelessly to straighten your smile.
- Lingual braces are custom-made for each patient's unique dental structure; they provide precise and accurate results. The dentist will take detailed impressions and images in order to create custom brackets and wires specifically tailored to fit the contours of your teeth.
- With lingual braces, there's no need to worry about food restrictions or accidentally damaging your appliance while eating. Since the brackets and wires are located behind your teeth, you can enjoy all types of foods without any limitations.
- Unlike clear aligners, which need to be removed for eating or brushing/flossing routines, with lingual braces, there is no risk of forgetting or losing them since they stay securely in place throughout treatment.
How to Care For Lingual Braces
Once the dentist attaches your lingual braces, it's important to take good care of them to ensure the best possible outcome for your smile. Here are some tips on how to care for lingual braces:
- Oral hygiene: Brushing and flossing become even more crucial with lingual braces. It's essential to clean both the front and back surfaces of your teeth thoroughly, as well as around the brackets and wires.
- Watch what you eat: While wearing lingual braces, it's advisable to avoid hard or sticky foods that can damage or dislodge the brackets. Opt for softer options like cooked vegetables, yogurt, and lean proteins instead.
- Regular check-ups: Make sure to schedule regular appointments with our orthodontist during your treatment period. They will monitor progress, make any necessary adjustments, and address any concerns you may have.
- Wear a mouthguard: If you participate in contact sports or activities where there is a risk of injury to your mouth, wearing a mouthguard can help protect both your teeth and braces.
- Be patient: Adjusting to life with lingual braces takes time – be patient! Initially, you may experience some discomfort or difficulty speaking. However, this usually improves over time as your tongue adjusts.
Remember that each person's orthodontic journey is unique. Follow these care tips provided by our orthodontist specifically tailored towards maintaining healthy gums while straightening those pearly whites!
If you're considering orthodontic treatment but don't want to have visible metal brackets on your front teeth, it's worth exploring the option of lingual braces. For more information about lingual braces, visit Knoxville Orthodontics at one of our three convenient locations in Knoxville, Tennessee, or call (865) 522-7572.